How to change the voice of Alexa
ere are two ways you can change the voice of Alexa on your Echo devices: through the device itself or through the Alexa app. Doing it through the device is the easiest option and takes just a few seconds.
Changing the voice only applies to the Echo device you’re currently using or accessing through the app. If you want to switch to the masculine voice on multiple Echo speakers or displays in your home, you’ll have to do it one at a time.
It’s also not possible to change the Alexa voice used by the smartphone app itself; that remains the original, feminine voice. Hopefully, in the future, Amazon will add a way to change it globally for all of the Echo devices on an account.
Without further ado, here’s how to change Alexa’s voice on an Echo device:
ON AN ECHO OR ECHO SHOW:
Say the command “Alexa, change your voice.”
The device will respond in the new voice (either the masculine or feminine voice, depending on which you used previously): “OK, you’re all set. I’ll be the voice you hear when you speak to this device.”
If it doesn’t work, Alexa will say something to the effect of “sorry, [name of your device] doesn’t support that.”
IN THE ALEXA APP FOR IOS OR ANDROID:
- Tap on the Devices tab at the bottom.
- Tap on the Echo & Alexa button in the top left.
- Tap on the device you want to change Alexa’s voice on.
- Tap the Settings cog wheel button in the upper right.
- Scroll down to the option for Alexa’s Voice and tap on it.
- Choose either Original (the feminine voice) or New (the masculine voice).
HOW TO PURCHASE A CELEBRITY VOICE:
- Say, “Alexa, put me in touch with [name of famous person].”
- Alexa will use the celebrity voice you chose and tell you what you can do with it. You will be asked to confirm the charge to your Amazon account if you want to buy the voice.
- Once turned on, you can say “hey [celebrity name]” to wake up the Echo device.
- Only the Echo you bought it for will have the voice. Follow the steps below to turn it on on more Echo speakers.
- If you use the Alexa wake word, you can still use the standard Alexa voice, and sometimes it will answer if the celebrity voice can’t. The celebrity voice can’t help with shopping, lists, reminders, or skills.
HOW TO ADD A CELEBRITY VOICE TO YOUR ECHO(S):
Once you’ve bought the celebrity voice, you can use it on all of your Echo speakers.
- Open the app for Alexa.
- Tap the bottom tab called “Devices.”
- Tap the button that says “Echo & Alexa” in the top left corner.
- Tap on the device where you want the celebrity voice to be turned on.
- Tap the gear wheel button in the top right corner.
- Scroll down until you see the Wake Word option and tap on it.
- You can choose any celebrity voice that you have turned on.
- Alexa gives you several free options for a new wake word if you don’t want to pay for a celebrity voice (they use the standard Alexa voices). Learn how to change your Alexa wake word with this guide.