The best way to leave LinkedIn if you are not satisfied with the service is to delete your account rather than uninstall the app or log out of your account. In the same manner, as other social networking sites, LinkedIn has the right to use your personal information. By deleting or disabling your profile, you can avoid this problem.
There is no need to worry about permanently leaving the professional networking website or taking a temporary break. Throughout this article, we will explain how to permanently delete or temporarily deactivate your LinkedIn account on Android, iPhone, and laptop/PC. Let’s get started without further ado.
Also Need To Know: How to Make Mac Dark Mode? 4 Best Tips to Fix It
Why Do We Need to Delete LinkedIn Account?
There may be various reasons why someone may choose to delete their LinkedIn account. Here are a few possible reasons:
No longer using LinkedIn:
If you are no longer actively using LinkedIn or find it unhelpful for your professional networking or job search activities, you may wish to delete your account in order to stop receiving LinkedIn notifications or emails.
A professional social media platform, LinkedIn allows users to share both their personal and professional information. It is possible to delete your LinkedIn account if you have concerns regarding your privacy or data security.
Job change or career transition:
If you have changed jobs or shifted careers and no longer wish to maintain a LinkedIn profile associated with your previous employment or industry, you may choose to delete your account and create a new one that aligns with your current professional interests.
Too much spam or unwanted communication:
If you are receiving excessive spam, unwanted messages, or solicitations on LinkedIn and find it bothersome, you may decide to delete your account to stop such communication.
In some cases, individuals may simply determine they do not wish to maintain an online presence on LinkedIn or social media in general and may choose to delete their accounts as a personal choice.
LinkedIn accounts are permanently deleted, which means that all your account information, connections, and other information will be lost. Consider alternative options such as updating your privacy settings or deactivating your account temporarily instead of permanently deleting it before deleting your account.
How to Delete LinkedIn Account Temporarily?
The ‘Hibernate account’ is an option you can choose if you wish to take a break from LinkedIn without deleting your profile. When you enable this mode, your profile will be temporarily disabled and will not be visible to your connections or appear as a recommendation to other users. As a result, multiple devices may be used to temporarily deactivate a LinkedIn profile.
The following steps will explain how to temporarily deactivate a LinkedIn profile from the desktop.
- Log in to your LinkedIn profile using a browser on your desktop
- Select your profile from the top menu
- Select ‘Settings & Privacy’ from the dropdown menu
- Click on the ‘Hibernate account’ option under the ‘Account management’ section
- Hit ‘Next’ after selecting a reason for temporarily deactivating your profile
- After entering the account’s password, click on “Hibernate account.”
The following steps will assist you in temporarily deactivating your LinkedIn profile on an Android device.
- On your Android device, open the LinkedIn app
- On the top left corner of the screen, tap on your profile. The menu will appear
- From this menu, select ‘Settings’ and then ‘Account preferences’
- Click on the ‘Hibernate account’ option from here
- If you choose to temporarily deactivate your account, you may specify a reason (optional)
- Enter your password for verification by selecting ‘Next’
- Tap on ‘Hibernate account’ once you have completed the process
Here are the steps that you need to follow to temporarily deactivate your LinkedIn profile on your iPhone.
- Go to the LinkedIn app
- Click on the ‘Settings’ menu on the left
- Click on ‘Account preferences’ under the settings
- Under the ‘Account management’ section, select the ‘Hibernate account’ option
- Click on “Next” and enter your password to verify that you are the one managing the account.
- Then tap on the ‘Hibernate account’ button
How to permanently delete your LinkedIn profile
On any device on which you have logged in, you may permanently delete your LinkedIn profile. All of your data will be removed from the professional networking site, including posts and comments, and cannot be retrieved. To delete your LinkedIn account, scroll down and follow the steps on how to backup your data and then return here.
- Ensure that LinkedIn is open on your desktop and login if you have not already done so
- Click on the profile icon at the top of the screen
- Select ‘Settings & Privacy’ from the drop-down menu
- From the left menu, select ‘Account preferences’ and scroll down to ‘Account management’.
- Click the ‘Close account’ button
- To permanently close your LinkedIn account, click on ‘Continue’ and select the reason.
- For verification purposes, you will be asked to provide your account password. Shortly thereafter, the profile will be deleted
Deleting a LinkedIn account on Android is a relatively straightforward process. The following steps will guide you.
- Go to the LinkedIn app on your Android device. Download the app from the Google Play Store
- Ensure you are logged in to the app if you haven’t already done so
- In the next step, click on your profile in the top left corner to bring up the side menu
- On the left-hand side, click on ‘Settings’
- Go to settings and select ‘Account preferences’
- Tap on the ‘Close account’ option after scrolling down
- Select the ‘Continue’ button and select the reason you wish to terminate your LinkedIn account on the next screen
- Click ‘Done’ after entering your account’s password
LinkedIn’s official app is also available for Apple iPhone users. The following steps will guide you.
- On your iPhone, launch the LinkedIn application. Visit the App Store to download the app
- Ensure you are logged in to the app if you haven’t already done so
- To access your profile settings, tap on the profile picture in the upper left corner and select ‘Settings’
- The next screen will allow you to select ‘Account preferences’
- Click on the ‘Close account’ option under ‘Account management’
- When the LinkedIn profile is deleted, it will ask for final confirmation. Click ‘Continue’ and select a reason for closing the account
- Click on ‘Done’ to permanently delete your LinkedIn profile
Deleting a LinkedIn account is a personal decision that may be influenced by various factors, such as the individual’s level of activity on the platform, privacy concerns, job changes, unwanted communication, or personal preference. Before deciding to delete a LinkedIn account, it’s important to consider the implications and understand that it is a permanent action that will result in the removal of all account data.
It may be beneficial to explore other options such as updating privacy settings or temporarily deactivating the account and downloading any important data or contacts before proceeding with the deletion. Ultimately, individuals should carefully evaluate their reasons and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision about deleting their LinkedIn accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does closing a LinkedIn account delete it?
Yes, closing a LinkedIn account is equivalent to permanently deleting it. Once an account is closed, all associated data, connections, and information will be removed from the LinkedIn platform.
How long does it take to permanently delete a LinkedIn account?
When you request to close your LinkedIn account, it may take several weeks for the deletion process to be completed. During this time, your account may be deactivated, but your data will still be stored on LinkedIn's servers. After the deletion process is complete, your account and data will be permanently removed from LinkedIn's systems.
Why do people delete their LinkedIn accounts?
People may delete their LinkedIn account for various reasons, including no longer using the platform, privacy concerns, job changes or career transitions, excessive spam or unwanted communication, personal preference, or dissatisfaction with the platform's features or functionality.
How do I remove myself from the LinkedIn search?
To remove yourself from LinkedIn search results, you can adjust your privacy settings. You can go to your LinkedIn profile settings, navigate to the "Privacy" tab, and modify your settings related to search visibility and public profile visibility. Keep in mind that making your profile completely private may limit your visibility to potential employers or professional opportunities.
Does LinkedIn show who viewed your profile?
If you have a free LinkedIn account, you can see the number of times your profile has been viewed in the last 90 days and the general industry or location of the viewers. However, LinkedIn does not provide specific information about who viewed your profile unless you have a premium subscription.
Can you delete your LinkedIn account and start again?
Yes, you can delete your LinkedIn account and create a new one if you wish. However, keep in mind that once an account is deleted, all associated data, connections, and information will be permanently removed and cannot be recovered.
Should I hide my LinkedIn profile?
Whether or not to hide your LinkedIn profile depends on your personal preferences and professional goals. Hiding your profile will make it invisible to others on LinkedIn and in search results, which may limit your visibility and opportunities for networking or job search. However, it may be a suitable option if you want to maintain privacy or control your online presence on the platform.